Rising Prices, Food Costs, and One Simple Way to Save
Around Los Angeles, overall prices are about 29% higher than in 2020, while groceries are up roughly 32%.
So if grocery shopping feels noticeably more expensive, you’re not imagining it.
Rent, insurance, and gas are hard to control. Food is one of the few major household expenses where we still have some room to adjust.
And right now, even a basic sandwich and drink can easily cost around $20.
Cooking at home may not be glamorous, but it gives you more control over both cost and ingredients.
I grew up in Japan in a household where home cooking was normal, but once I started cooking every day myself, I realized how much work it actually takes.
Planning, chopping, cooking, cleaning.
Still, after years of practice, it becomes a useful skill. Now I can look at a few ingredients in the refrigerator and usually turn them into a meal.
And today, if you’re stuck, you can simply ask:
“What can I make with these ingredients?”
One thing that still surprises me about American recipes is the portion size.
Serves 6. Serves 8. Sometimes 12.
Who is eating all this?
I often cut recipes in half, into quarters, or even eighths.
Because making too much, getting tired of leftovers, and throwing food away is not really saving money.
For me, one of the most effective ways to cut food costs is simple:
Buy what you’ll actually use, cook what you’ll actually eat, and waste as little as possible.
Some people say, “Don’t worry about saving money—just make more.”
Sure, earning more is great.
But earning more and avoiding unnecessary spending are not opposites.
Saving money doesn’t have to mean deprivation.
Sometimes it simply means not paying more than you need to.
Cooking at home, using leftovers, and making the most of what you already have may be simple habits—but in an inflationary economy, they can make a real difference.
Read the full post here:
https://peacewings.com/food-budget-saving-tips/

Comments